AdWords is an advertising campaign that provides advertisers with the opportunity in gaining optimum targeting of high traffic key phrases. The following takes a look at tips in aiding advertisers in creating a cost effective AdWords campaign.
What is an AdWords Campaign?
Google Adwords is an internet marketing scheme that enables advertisers to place their advertisement on the top or right side of the search results pages on Google and Google’s content partners. Traffic (internet users) type in keywords or phrases relating to products or services and advertisers advertisements are pulled and placed onto the search results page. The visitor then clicks on the advertisement that advertisers will be charged for, due to the pay-per-click system (PPC).
This form of advertising provides consistent prospects in terms of your return on investment (ROI) for those who create these campaigns. Many advertisers make the mistake of entering into other internet marketing schemes and as a result pay more than what they initially budgeted for. Therefore they get discouraged as they are not reaping the awards of their campaign and are not getting the optimum exposure. AdWords however is a cost effective way of advertising your product or service on the internet. Use these tips to keep your AdWords costs to a minimum.
AdWords Tips to Keep Your Costs Down
- Firstly, do not target unrelated countries or languages. Your product or service will not get the needed exposure if you are targeting the wrong areas of interest.
- Once you have found your target area, create interesting ads that will snowball traffic to your website. Include strong selling points and benefits available to your potential customers.
- Activate Google’s ad tracking. This is a free service that enables advertisers to record their cost per click and click-through ratio.
- Google’s ad tracking also tracks the success of your keywords and if your ads result in sales or enquiries for your business.
- These reviews inform you of your costs and guides you whether to change from a (PPC) to another form of marketing.
- Create a list of negative keywords, these keywords aid in keeping “time-wasters” from clicking on your advertisements.
- The stricter you are with the type of keywords you select the better your return on investment. For example if you don’t want to educate people on your product, but you want them to purchase it then make sure you prevent your ads from displaying for keywords such as “how to” or “learn about” or “what is” etc.
- Monitor your competitor’s adword campaigns and track as well as implement the keywords they are using
- Ensure a call to action on your advert such as “click here” or “call us now”
- Don’t sell guarantees or freebies unless you really offer proper guarantees and/or real freebies
- Create adwords adverts to match keyword searches i.e. if a user searches for “game lodges” ensure the advert displays that relates to “game lodges” and ensure that the advert has the keywords “game lodges” in it
- Do not have a generic advert but rather run adverts that relate directly to each product / service you sell
- Set a cost per click limit on content adverts
- Set a cost per click limit on search adverts
- Start off slow and increase your budget as you gain more knowledge and a better understanding of adwords
- Check the content list that your adwords are displaying on and ensure that the websites there are correctly related to your site i.e. if you are selling accounting packages, you do not necessarily want your adverts displaying on a recruitment site that offers accounting positions for placement
- Check your adwords campaign every morning to ensure that it is operating at optimum efficiency and tweak accordingly
- Create unique or double barrel keywords. Think of unwanted meanings of keywords, this will increase your click-through rates.
- Utilize Google tools on generating your keywords for your ad campaign. Do not limit yourself when making bids on keywords.
- Do not avoid obvious or common keywords as they can drive needed traffic to your site.
- If your ads or selected keywords seem unsuccessful, delete them. You will be spending valuable time on something that is not bringing you profit.
- Direct your traffic to a landing page that is coherent and easy to view. Send traffic to a page that is related to your product or service, not to your home page.
- Searchers become impatient and will not search through your website to find the product or service you are offering / advertising.
- Set a budget for yourself and allow for unexpected costs. You can pay for clicks on your ad and not the placement of your ad.
- Focus on your conversions, attempt to lower your cost per conversion, use creative advertising wording and keyword combinations.
- Try new approaches in a separate AdWords campaign and see which method works best for you.
- Create manageable ad campaigns, if you are a small business; create a small campaign that can be monitored on a regular basis.
- Purchase ad space in popular search areas, buying through Adsense can increase your ads visibility.
- Adsense campaigns places your ads on similar web pages, thus creating awareness of your businesses brand.
A successful AdWords campaign provides advertisers with optimum exposure for their growing company. By taking the correct steps in creating a cost effective AdWords campaign, you will be able to build a successful business online.
If you are interested in our Website, SEO, Google AdWords or Social Networking service, simply contact us or call us on 011 463 4771 and we will gladly be of assistance!