What are the basic website requirements that need to be considered when it comes to designing and developing your website? Optimus01 has an extensive list of what you should know.
Your website is used as a form of advertising and it allows your potential clients to learn more about your company and the available products you have to offer however, there are certain things that your website needs, to ensure that your potential clients are happy.
Designing and developing a website should be a fun experience. Not only do you have the opportunity to put your company’s name on the very large internet map, but you also have the opportunity to put your best foot forward to potential visitors.
Basic Website Requirements for An Effective Website
- Content is the most important part of the webpage. No matter how flashy and aesthetically pleasing the website looks, without the content the website would be useless and of little value to the readers or visitors.
- Navigation is crucial when it comes to website design. Without it your potential clients would not be able to find out about you and your company. The navigation should be easy to use and clearly visible. Some examples include visible links to home pages, “About Us” and “Back” buttons.
- White space is crucial when designing your webpage. This will make it less cluttered, easier to read and manoeuvre around the website.
- Website Speed. It is important that your website loads quickly. This is one of the most important requirements when it comes to designing and developing a website. To ensure that your website downloads within 15 seconds, it is advised that you avoid excessive use of images, animations, videos, flash designs and audio.
- Branding. Your name and company logo needs to be included on every page so that the visitors know exactly where they are and what to expect.
- Consistency. Your design, font, style, content and other aspects need to be consistent throughout the entire website. Remember that keeping it simple and consistent is one of the most important basic website requirements
- User Friendly. This means that the website should be user-friendly, simple and reliable.
- Mobile Friendly. It is important that you ensure that your webpages are responsive & can be read on a variety of different browsers and screen sizes as well as on mobile and tablet devices.
For more information visit our post about:
Basic Website Page Requirements
Below are the 4 most important pages that your website should have, based on years of web design and development experience, and brand psychology.
1. About Us – It is astounding, the number of companies that do not have an about us page on their website. This is one of the most important pages and for a company this is one of the best pages to reach out to your clients and tell them who and what you are about.
An About Us page should usually comprise of the following:
- who we are and how long we have been in business
- what we provide summarizing the products and services
- why we are the company to deal with
- when we can assist you and information about project time lines etc.
- how to contact us and start doing business with us
- Mention some clients that have utilized your product or service, hyperlinking to their website. Essentially this is the page where you toot your horn and get visitors interested. Remember to make sure that the About Us page is written according to your company’s image for example, corporate, or relaxed etc.
2. Contact Us – There is no point in spending money on a brilliant website, if you don’t make sure of 2 things in relation to your contact us page:
- that your contact us page (link to it) is clearly and obviously visible on your home page
- that your contact us page actually works
- These 2 factors may seem quite logical but I have seen hundreds of companies whose contact us page simply doesn’t work. You take the time to find it (again note the visibility issue) and then you fill it in, press submit and you get an error notification. This is the quickest way to tell people that you are unprofessional, slack and very careless. This is also the fastest way that a visitor will decide not to use you.
3. FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) – This page is so often overlooked by website designers and developers as well as website owners alike. Yet it is probably one of the best sales tools you have on your website.
Here you can go on and on about how wonderful your product is, how brilliant it is with helping people, and how you are the best people to use for the supply thereof.
You can also assist people with understanding your product, learning about your company and above all else supplying them with information so that by the time they call you, they are already rather inclined to use your product or service as they know all about you.
4. Products – Many people take for granted the fact that their visitors know about their product or service before they enter their site. This is completely wrong!
Whilst visitors may have a general idea of what your product or service is they do not know the particulars about it in any way shape or form. So it is imperative to have a page called products (or services) and therein you provide an index page of your various products or services that you supply as well as a general short write up of each of your products.
This is a brilliant SEO tool as it assists your website with keyword density and it also gives people a quick overview of exactly what you supply and how you can serve them.
Find Ideas for Your Own Basic Website
When designing and developing your basic website, go to Google and search keywords relating to your product or service and look at the top 5 results that come up.
Click on those links and look at those websites.
There is a reason that they are ranked on the top 5 positions in the search results. You will also see a trend in terms of what items appear on those websites. Follow those trends.
As much as the internet is about unique, original content, when it comes to websites there is a distinct list of requirements to follow.
If you are interested in our Search Engine Optimization, Google AdWords or Facebook Advertising services, simply contact us or call us on 011 463 4771 and we will gladly be of assistance!