Are you unsure of how to write copy or content for your website? Optimus01 has some helpful copywriting tips to make writing for the web a little easier.
Writing for the internet can be a very difficult task. It takes a lot of practice and dedication. Here are some helpful tips to consider when writing for a website. Before we get into that, it is important to emphasise that when writing for a website, you need to bare in mind that people are limited in time and that the information you are trying to convey has to have a strong call to action. Remember that the main purpose of your website is to sell your services and products.
Copywriting Tips for Websites
- Let your visitors know what your website is about and what you offer as soon as they enter your website. This information should be stated on the tagline.
- The content and information should be targeted to the target audience and potential consumers.
- Remember the importance of giving the reader or visitors a call to action.
- When writing your articles, consider the lower literacy users. English should be kept plain and simple. Write for a Grade 8 student. Your copy should be easily understood by all types of people, no matter their education and expertise.
- Use the inverted pyramid when writing copy for the internet. This means that you need to put the most important information first, within the first two paragraphs.
- Be flexible in your writing, change according to the topic, target audience and message you are trying to put across.
- People can become overwhelmed by long bodies of text. Shorten text by using bullets, headings and sub-headings.
- Highlight the most important keywords, this is good for those who are short on time and need to scan through your copy. Bolded text or keywords are also excellent for SEO.
- Main and important points should be included in the beginning of sentences and paragraphs. This saves time and is excellent for scanning purposes.
- The first paragraph should state exactly what the article or website is about.
- The copy in your website should answer the 5 W’s and the H of what your company is all about. (Who, what, when, where, why and how).
- Write as simply as possible. If there is a new or confusing term or jargon, explain it to your reader. If they feel that they don’t understand, they will look elsewhere.
- Paragraphs should be short, this means between 4 and 5 sentences per paragraph.
- Emphasize the benefits of your products and services.
- Your writing needs to be conversational. Stay professional but write as though you are talking to a friend or peer.
- Use as few words as possible.
- Catch your potential client’s attention. Use clever play on words where possible, but remember to write for SEO.
- Be descriptive in your writing so that your clients know what to expect from your company.
- It is important that you get straight to the point when writing your articles. Also remember to stay on topic and avoid the urge to waffle.
- Make it easy to read in terms of the website’s design, font and colour.
- Practice active voice. Write as if you are doing it now or it needs to be done right away. Write in present tense. The time is NOW.
- Avoid redundancy and practice clarity. Keep it simple.
- Be consistent in your tenses.
- Have one idea per paragraph.
- Use proper English and watch out for spelling and grammatical mistakes. Failure to do this will damage your reputation and leave you looking unprofessional.
- Be positive in your writing and message.
- Avoid giving the potential clients too much information. Information overload can be overwhelming for the internet user.
- Websites should be easy to scan but informative. Make use of headings, bullets, lists and boxes.
- When writing your article think like the reader. What will and do they need to know about your services?
Copywriting for Websites
Copywriting for your website can be difficult. Remember these factors when creating or filling your website with content. Alternatively, ask Optimus01 to help with the content and copywriting for your website.
If you are interested in our Website, SEO, Google AdWords or Social Networking service, simply contact us or call us on 011 463 4771 and we will gladly be of assistance!