What is fixed design all about? How will Fixed design be viewed on different computer screens? Find out here:
Designing your own website brings many decisions, choices and issues that need to be carefully considered. One of these is how should you design your website to fit and remain constant on different computer screens and browsers. Here is everything you need to know about the fixed website design.
What is the Fixed Website Design?
The fixed design is all about when the width of your website is measured and designed by a certain pixel width. As the name describes, this design is fixed and is set to an immovable width; this is true no matter the user’s resolution, screen size and browser used. With the fixed design, it means that the web browser will not be able to change the format text of the design as they see fit. This is the most popular and common option for website design. With this design the width of the content is contained and stays fixed no matter what. This option is also known as the wrapper and container. This is the ideal design for those websites with lots of images, pictures and graphics. This is beneficial because the images will always stay the same and will not leave the webpage looking cluttered and messy.
Advantages of Fixed Website Design
- You can set the width so to make it ideal for optimum readability.
- The main readable content area is tightly controlled without having to set a minimum and a maximum width.
- Fixed width layouts are sometimes easier to style and design.
- Text will remain easy to read no matter which browser you are on.
- If you use the fixed design, the graphic elements are incorporated into fixed width layout; this will not overpower the text.
- Fixed design brings uniformity to your website.
- You can better control the images and other elements of your webpages because they are static on the page.
- You will know what to expect in terms of font size, images and design.
- Guarantees an easy to read line-length.
- This design can have images that can be placed in relation to the other elements (such as images) and type sizes.
- The designer has full control over how the page would look.
- Allows for predictable default printing behaviour.
- Pages are designed to look the same, no matter what browser or operating system you use.
Disadvantages of Fixed Website Design
- If you view a website on a bigger screen, you will have some dead space if the screen is bigger than the website design.
- If the screen is too small and the website design is too big, you will end up scrolling from left to right in order to continue reading the information available.
- Text can look too narrow on very big computer screens.
- The narrow width of the website design can limit the number of columns and content.
- Font sizes are fixed which means that they are not flexible and resizing them is impossible and not an option.
View the most common things that irritate web users.
Fixed Design Explained
This type of design will ensure that the webpage remains the same width no matter which screen you view the website on. This is a better option for pictures, as too much text can annoy the users especially if their screens are smaller than the one the website was originally designed on. This will lead to the annoying task of scrolling from left to right so to continue reading the text. This annoyance is often the biggest grievance against fixed website design.
For all of your ethical SEO queries and needs, a good, credible and reliable company, such as Optimus01, should be sought out. At the end of the day, the ethical practices that you seek out to best optimise your website will have far more rewarding business successes.
If you are interested in our Website, SEO, Google AdWords or Social Networking service, simply contact us or call us on 011 463 4771 and we will gladly be of assistance!