Bing is Microsoft’s new search engine after MSN, and is performing exceptionally well in terms of SEO, increasing their rank daily on the Internet. Through Bing your website will get listed at the top of its portal faster than other search engines in its league. The following takes a look at the approaches to optimizing your site for Bing.
Bing and Optimization
Bing was launched in 2009 and has become a leading competitor for other search engines such as Google and Yahoo! Bing’s comprehensive site offers numerous services and features to its visitors. What makes Bing different to Google is the search engines interest in optimizing new or old sites. Once the sites are optimized to their highest potential for Bing and are well ranked on Bing, the sites can then move onto optimization for Google.
Optimizing Tips for Bing
- Have a good site map for your website. Bing’s server depends on site maps when optimizing your site.
- Provide selected keywords in your websites sub-domains. The search term must appear in your domain or your sub-domain.
- Bing favours sites that have good and clear codes. Non-compliant HTML’s make it harder for Bing to optimize your site.
- For best optimizing results opt for using XHTML rather than HTML. Ensure to follow the regulations set by W3c standards if you opt in using XHTML’s.
- Include selected keywords in your websites URL, the keywords used here should be the same as those used for your site’s page title.
- Do not update your URL’s too often; this may make it harder for Bing or any other search engine to organize them.
- Older sites on the Web are often better noticed. The age of your domain does determine the success rate of your site’s presence.
- If your site has been newly launched, opt in buying an older domain name, this may increase your rankings.
- In terms of optimization on Bing, titles are of importance. Title tags are held in a higher esteem to Bing than they are on Google.
- Titles should be no shorter than 5 characters and no longer than 65.
- Create unique and dynamic keywords for your website’s title tags.
- Optimization of your site is also made easier if your website is rich in text.
- Ensure to include 400 words or more on each page of your website.
- The contents of your articles must include a sufficient amount of your selected keywords.
- Include keywords in your articles titles, this helps in increasing your page rankings.
- Update content on your site as much as possible in terms of text.
- Add blogs to your site and update them daily if possible.
- Outbound links are also favoured by Bing. However do not include too many outbound links as it may become difficult to optimize.
- Direct other websites or blogs to link to your website; the more links you have, the better the chance of your site being ranked higher.
- Be cautious with blogs on Bing as the search engine does not value them as much as Google does.
- Provide backlinks to your website, as long as they are relevant they will help Bing optimize your site.
- In terms of Meta-tag optimization; ensure the keywords you use do not get repeated more than 5 times, this may be otherwise regarded as spam.
- The number of keyword characters present in your Meta-tags should not exceed more than 870 characters.
Optimization of a website is a timely process and results may only be shown to you after a couple of months. However, the results of your optimized site are well worth the wait and you will ultimately increase your return on your investment (ROI). The above tips will help you obtain a higher ranking with Bing.