Most internet users are familiar with SPAM on the internet SPAM is irritating “unsolicited bulk email” that clutters up the internet and your mailbox. The following takes a look at SPAM solutions.
What is SPAM?
When people talk about SPAM they refer to electronic messaging abuse, where bulk unwanted messages are sent at random. SPAM can be sent via:
- Web engines
- Internet forums
- Instant messaging
- Usenet newsgroup
- Mobile phones
SPAM in Your Mailbox
SPAM often makes its way into your mailbox. In fact, a large percentage of content on the internet has become SPAM. You may wonder why this is a problem. The problem with SPAM includes the fact that:
- It wastes time.
- It is irritating.
- It invades privacy.
- It can cost users money.
- It pollutes the internet.
- It can be illegal.
- It is often misleading.
- It can contain viruses.
- It is often a component of identity theft.
There are different solutions to SPAM that you can use, such as:
- Self solution
- Word lists
- White list solutions
- Black list solutions
- Hardware solutions
- Software solutions
- External solutions
- Heuristic Filters
- Bayesian Filters
- Content Filters
- IP or URL Filters
- Self solution entails the user viewing and deleting SPAM in their mailbox.
- While this may be effective, it is time consuming and frustrating.
- Word lists can be created that contain common words that are used with SPAM.
- Both complex lists and simple lists can be created.
White List Solutions
- White lists allow mail to be received from senders that are in your address book.
- Mail from senders that are not in your address book will be stored in the junk mail folder.
- In some cases, the mail from senders that are not in the address book will be deleted.
Black List Solutions
- A black list contains domain names or email addresses of companies that are known spammers.
- Software is available that helps you to list the known SPAM domains or email addresses; these will be placed in the junk mail or be deleted.
- Hardware solutions are able to create an antiviral and or firewall solution against SPAM.
- A router or box must be installed in the computer.
- Spam Assassin or Barracuda are examples of hardware SPAM solutions.
- Software solutions have rules or are linked to internet black lists
- The software is usually installed on a computer or server.
- Examples of SPAM software solutions include BitDefender, Imail or Mailwasher.
- Organisations such as Electric Embers or Advascan can manage your SPAM.
- Your emails are re-routed to the organisation’s server.
- The mail is evaluated for SPAM.
- The SPAM-free mail is sent back to you.
- Depending on their protocol, they may tag the mail as SPAM or they will keep the SPAM mail for you to view.
- A Heuristic Filter scans for characteristics, links, words and phrases that are commonly used in SPAM.
- There are certain rules that are used in the program to indicate whether mail is SPAM or not.
- Spammers have ways of bypassing SPAM solutions or filters.
- Bayesian filters have the ability to evolve, as the filter continues to be educated about SPAM content.
- The filter therefore adapts to identify future SPAM that has been created to bypass filters.
- SPAM can also be indicated by the content in the email or on the webpage.
- Rules are used to decide whether the content is SPAM or not.
- The subject, attachments, headers, size and body content are viewed to help decide whether it classifies as SPAM.
IP or URL Filters
- Known spammers use unique IP addresses or a Uniform Resource Locator (URL), these are used to compare with other IP addresses and URLs.
- If they are similar then they will be considered as SPAM.
A Note on SPAM and SEO
SEO is important to optimise your site. With this in mind it is important when designing your site for SEO and writing for SEO to not overdo your keyword use and density. This can make your site look like SPAM to search engine “spiders”.
SPAM and Your Website
It is imperative that your site is not viewed as SPAM, as this will go against the importance and benefits of having a website. Take the time to evaluate your site and optimise it. This can be done through Ataga and Optimus. Contact Ataga to find out about more information on a web audit. Contact Optimus for more information of their SEO service and SEO packages.
SPAM is an accompaniment of the internet that is time consuming, frustrating and potentially threatening to your computer. Take note of the ways to prevent SPAM from cluttering up your mailbox. At the same time make sure that your site is not viewed as spam.