The age of a domain name influences a website’s SEO and ranking in Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs). The following takes a look at the age of a domain name and SEO.
Optimising a Website
You have heard of the importance of SEO for a website. In a nutshell it influences the ranking of a site in Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs), which in turn leads to increased visitor traffic and profit.
Unfortunately, a number of websites took advantage of search engine algorithms. In order to gain higher SERPs rankings website owners purposely used unethical SEO techniques. Most of these sites were spam sites that did not stick around for long. As a result, search engines now consider the age of a domain name when ranking websites.
Search Engines and Trust
Just as a new business needs to develop trust with its customers, a website needs to develop trust with a new website. With this in mind, an established business is more likely to attract new clients than a new business. Therefore, a website with an older domain name is more likely to be ranked than a site with a new domain name.
Registering a Domain Name
It is believed that registering a domain name early will help your website rankings or SEO in the long run. Even if your own website is a future project, it is worth your while to buy a domain name now. Domain names can be registered for a year or even 10 years.
The Age of a Website
A website is measured by:
- The length of time it has had content
- When content was last updated
- The length of time that the site has been promoted for
The Age of a Domain Name
A domain name is measured by:
- The date the domain name was registered
- The amount of time the domain name has been registered for
Keep Your Domain Name
It is important to keep your domain name, even if you discontinue your site for a while. This will allow your domain name to age, which will be helpful if you reintroduce your website. If you cancel your domain name, but, reintroduce a website later on you will begin at square one.
The Age of a Domain Name and SEO
The age of a domain name will influence the SEO of your site. An older domain name is more likely to jump over the “sandbox” into search engine rankings. This will increase the success of your site through increased visitor traffic and online revenue. Take the age of a domain name into consideration for future websites.
Domain Name Tips
- Register a domain name for as long as possible.
- A domain name that has been registered for a long time shows that you are serious about your website.
- An original or creative domain name could be sold at a later date.
- You can buy an existing domain name.
- Use SEO tools to evaluate the age and details of a domain name.
- Spam site domain names are usually registered for the shortest possible time, thus, aged domain names have more credibility.
The age of a domain name influences a website’s search engine ranking. Not only does an older domain name show the legitimacy of a website, but, it also helps to build trust with search engines. Ultimately this will help a website to have better SEO.