Social bookmarking sites enable internet users to distribute, categorize, search and administer bookmarks from web resources. The social bookmarking system saves links to web pages that you want to remember. The following takes a look at social bookmarking sites and how they generate traffic to your website.
Social bookmarking features
Links to web pages to be remembered are public, yet they can be saved privately or shared inside certain networks. Descriptions can be added to these bookmarks for other users to understand the content. Here users do not need to download the bookmark themselves. This is done in the form of Meta data. The descriptions may be comments, votes or tags. Bookmarks can be viewed by others chronologically or through search engines. Most social bookmarking sites provide web feeds from the lists of bookmarks the sites have accumulated, including lists organized by tags. Traffic is pivotal in terms of the success of a website, the more visitors a site has the higher the sites page ranking is from search engines. Bookmarking may be the easiest way to snowball traffic to your site.
How to Increase Traffic through Social Bookmarking Sites
- Firstly, pay attention to the headlines of your articles. They may go unnoticed by traffic if they are unappealing.
- A detailed description of your article is just as important as the headline. If the description attracts viewers, you stand a better chance in driving more traffic to your site.
- Keep the description short and to the point. Many viewers do not read more than 100-150 characters.
- The paragraphs contained within your articles need to be informative and easy to read.
- The first paragraph also gives an impression of the quality of the article itself and what is to follow in further paragraphs.
- Quality content is key when writing an article; if your content is weak, visitors will not bookmark your site.
- Place a bookmarking link on your site. Here visitors can select this option and include your site in their personal bookmarks.
- Submitting an article must be done at the correct time, if you want your article on the first page.
- Numerous bookmarking sites give you 24 hours to place your article on them; this ensures your site will be placed on the first page and remains there.
- Be sure to submit your article within the correct categories.
- Do not only submit your articles on a single bookmarking site, the more exposure to your article the better it is for traffic.
- Keep your information and content up-to-date, old news does not interest traffic.
- Ensure the information contained in your article is accurate, spelt correctly and does not offend viewers.
- RSS feeds, newsletter subscriptions and affiliate marketing campaigns are areas where traffic from social bookmarking sites can aid you in the success of your business.
- Place these advertisements in well seen areas of your website.
- Be active and respond to comments written about the articles you have written.
- Prepare your server for a high traffic rate.
Social bookmarking sites are one of the leading methods in gaining incoming links. Be sure not include blatant sales pitches as they rarely perform well on bookmarking sites.