In essence search engine optimization (SEO) is about getting websites onto the 1st page of the major search engines such as Google. In reality it involves a host of SEO activities being done on a continual basis to achieve and maintain this result.
There are 5 main areas that SEO activities focus on in order to achieve the ultimate goal of getting a website onto the 1st page of Google. These 5 SEO areas include the following:
Some might argue that this is the first thing to do when dealing with SEO and we tend to agree. Before you start designing and developing your website, you should and need to focus on what your website is actually going to say. What it will communicate to those that visit it. Take your business and start answering the following about it:
- Who you are
- What you do
- How you can help your visitors
- The benefits of using you
- How much will it cost to use you – give guidelines and estimates or statements like prices start from…
Once you have established this draw up a list of keywords that relate to your product or service, and do some research in terms of which keywords you can rank nicely for. Ensure to implement these keywords all over your site in the form of original content, links, titles etc. At Optimus01 our copywriters and SEO consultants know exactly how to assist you with your content and ensure that all SEO content principles are applied.
Once you have established your keywords and content you need to focus on the design of your website. If you do not apply various SEO website design guidelines, you are already making a big mistake in terms of getting your website ranked. Think of it this way – when you wish to build a house the first thing that you do is come up with sound architectural plans. Designing a website works on that same principle. Make sure that you have thought of the following when designing a website:
- User friendliness and navigation
- Basic website page requirements
- Visual appeal such as colours that work well together and appeal to users
By focusing on the above elements, and getting them right, you are already on your way to a website that will rank nicely and that follows basic search engine optimization elements and activities. At Optimus01 our website designers know every SEO principle to follow in terms of designing an SEO friendly website.
Again if you think of a house, your next step is finding a builder to follow those architectural plans, and build your house according to those specifications following basic building principles. Website development works on the same principle. Find a website developer who knows about real SEO and develop a website in accordance with SEO webmaster guidelines. Make sure that you focus on the following factors:
- Use PHP when developing a website – this works best in the long run and gives the least amount of problems
- Ensure that all code and URLs are clean
- Ensure your website loads in less than 10 seconds
- Ensure all your links work and that there are no page errors
- Ensure that your website is built following the website design
- Ensure that your website is built with a Content Management System (CMS)
- Ensure that your website has an xml and html site map for search engines to index your site
- Ensure that you implement correct meta tags – very few people know how to do this correctly
These are the basic SEO website development guidelines but actual SEO involves a lot more in terms of development, therefore it is best to get an SEO consultant on board in the initial stages of your project, in order to ensure that all aspects of SEO website development are covered. At Optimus01 our developers know what SEO principles to follow and all websites are built accordingly.
Online Identity and Reputation
Simply going live is not going to do the trick. With over 23 billion websites on the World Wide Web, you should understand why. Once you have launched your website you need to tell the online world that you exist. Commencing your SEO activities will take care of this. Within 3 – 4 months of performing continuous SEO activities, your website will start ranking very nicely on the various search results for keywords relating to your product or service. The SEO activities that deal with your online identity include but are not limited to blogging about your company, products and services, managing your online reputation, writing online press releases about your business, listing your company on relevant directories, submitting your website to the various search engines, running and managing a PPC campaign etc. At Optimus01 we take care of your online identity from the moment your website goes live. Managing your online identity and reputation is a key factor and is done on a daily, continual basis. This is part of your monthly SEO maintenance at Optimus01.
If you are not going to maintain your house it is going to fall down! The same applies to your website and SEO. If you do not maintain your website and continue to do SEO, your rankings will fall down. Bottom line. SEO maintenance includes SEO activities such as:
- refreshing and managing your online identity
- ensuring your website development stays inline with the constantly changing webmaster guidelines
- tweaking your content so that it matches the ever changing search engine algorithms
- upgrading your website in accordance with new trends and principles
- constantly researching new areas to align your website
These are the 5 main areas of SEO to consider. If you want your website to perform and bring you business, you need to apply these SEO activities on a continual basis. At Opitmus01 we focus on all these 5 major areas, and other minor areas, to ensure that our clients appear on the 1st page of the major search engines for keywords relating to their product or service.